Edelman’s Data Security & Privacy Group offers research with actionable insights on how
privacy and data security impact business success by revealing the gap between consumer expectations and what businesses are actually delivering.
In partnership with research firm StrategyOne, Edelman took a close look at how consumers are taking data security and privacy issues into account when making decisions to purchase or adopt goods or services; the relationship between effective consumer data management and key business outcomes; and the role of security and privacy communications in stakeholder engagement.
We found that consumers care about the security of their personal information more than ever before and do not believe businesses are managing privacy and security issues effectively. As a result, businesses and organizations must put more effort into learning how to manage privacy and security issues – and even treat them like a core competency. Otherwise, they will lose consumers’ trust – and ultimately, their businessMethodology
Privacy & Security: The New Drivers of Brand, Reputation and Action Global Insights 2012 was conducted by research firm StrategyOne and consisted of a 15-minute online survey conducted in the United States from February 1 – February 7, 2012, and non-U.S. markets from February 2 – 14, 2012. The survey sampled 4,050 consumers aged 18 and older in seven countries.The Time Is Right
Consumers care about the security of their personal information more than ever before and do not believe that businesses are managing privacy and security issues effectively.
Our survey revealed:
- 32% of consumers agree that their privacy is adequately protected by today’s business practices.
- 85% of consumers say businesses need to take data security more seriously.
- A majority of people globally (57%) report either no change or a decline in the security of their own data over the last five years.
- A majority of people globally (70%) are more concerned about data security and privacy than they were five years ago.
- 68% of consumers globally agree that, “consumers have lost control over how online personal information is shared and used by companies.”
Edelman’s Privacy & Security: The New Drivers of Brand, Reputation and Action Global Insights 2012 study shows, for the first time, why managing privacy and data security impact business success by revealing the gap between consumer expectations and what businesses are actually delivering. The study demonstrates that data security and privacy do impact purchasing decisions, corporate reputation and that there is a relationship between effective data protection and business success. Click here to read the executive summary of the survey findings or view the presentation below.